Saturday, April 01, 2023

Kriston Fincher's April Fool's Joke on Mick Williams

 

The best one that I was honored to participate in was a few years ago.

I was the board op for a technology show in radio, Mick Williams Cyber-Line.

That year April 1 fell on a Saturday, so Mick concocted a plan.

We talked about outsourcing on the show the week before. Mick also set up a ‘dispute’ between him and management on the air.

By sheer chance the internet connection went down on Thursday before the show.

Now the stage is set. Mick is fired for the Snapple incident, and I am fired for the network sabotage.

Enter two new characters, The Compu-Lama (Mick) and The Professor (me).

For three hours we ‘outsourced’ the host duties for India.

We received more e-mail over this than any other time. Almost all angry and demanding that Mick an I be hired back!

We had to explain on air the next week that it was just a prank.

My understanding is that it was reported in a radio industry publication as one of the top ten greatest radio pranks.

No comments: